Monday, January 22, 2007

Driving a Rickshaw by Rob




Do you know what an auto-rickshaw is? Well, I got to drive one!

It is a three-wheeled motorcycle with a compartment for passengers at the back. A rickshaw is used like a taxi, but because it is cheaper they are more common in Varkala. We will usually take a rickshaw home from town.

One day we were going to town with Wilson, a rickshaw driver we knew quite well. He asked me if I wanted to help drive. I said yes, moved up front and he let me hold one handlebar while we were driving on our little laneway. I was surprised when we got to the road, instead of sending me back to the passenger compartment, he let me take over the steering. It was exciting to be on the road with other motorcycles, rickshaws and cars coming at you. I even had to drive past this ELEPHANT!!!! When we got to the main road, Wilson let me control the gas. In the end we made it to town safe and alive.

Wilson was surprised at how good a driver I was, but he did not know that my two grandpas have taught me how to drive!

No comments: